“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – Les Brown
Ah, sweet dreams – some are fulfilled by chance, while the others await a choice.
The priorities of today are notorious for overtaking the dreams of yesterday. Yet, there are some dreams that are worth fighting for; those that you believe would give more meaning to your existence, and fulfill the purpose of your life.
4 Strategies for Realizing Your Dreams
1. Define Your Dream
“The best way to make your dream come true, is to wake up.” – Paul Valery
A dream that might seem clear in the head, often becomes hazy when you actually start working on it. So, defining your dream is the first essential step in your journey.
Some Helpful Questions –
- What exactly am I looking to achieve?
- How would fulfilling that dream help me?
- What would it mean to me, if I had to let go of my dream?
Remember – Realizing your dream might need considerable effort, hence begin by ascertaining that the kind of dream you are relating to, is the one you are willing to work for.
2. Convert Your Dream Into A Goal
“A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement.” – Bo Bennett
A dream is a goal without legs; it is the very process of clarifying a dream, recognizing and defining it, that gives your dream the vehicle to move forward.
When you say “I want to be happy” or “I wish I was rich” the output is rather abstract. For defining your dream, you will need to clarify it and make it more tangible. Hence, start by converting your dream into a SMART goal.
- Specific (significant, precise)
- Measurable (quantifiable)
- Achievable (attainable)
- Relevant (realistic)
- Time bound (time-sensitive, trackable)
A simple example of a SMART goal – “I want to lose 10 pounds, in the next 3 months.”
3. Start Working On It
“A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” – Colin Powell
Planning might not seem dreamy or exciting, but be warned that those who fail to plan, plan to fail.
- Invest Some Time and Effort – Lay out a clear plan and begin working towards achieving your dream.
- Even Tiny Actions Matter – Whether it is speaking to the right people or doing relevant research, it all makes a difference.
- Align With Supportive People – Share your dreams with those who support and encourage you. These people – friends, relatives, etc., could be a great source of positive energy and strength.
- Share Your Dreams With Caution – There could be some, who do not support your progress. These people might ridicule your dream, and attempt to pull you down. Be aware of the negative impact they could cause and avoid sharing your dreams with them.
4. Stay Focused
“Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren’t sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better.” – John Carmack
Make your dream your priority and nurture it by dedicating your time and attention, passion and enthusiasm.
- Beware Of Road Blocks – Similar to any project, there is a possibility that you might face road blocks, while on your way to the finishing line. At these times, it is not unusual to question your choices. Where there is uncertainty, there lurks doubt.
- Remember The Cause – At a hard turn, when you start questioning your choices, PAUSE and remind yourself about the very reason, for wanting to achieve that dream.
Summing It Up : Stay focused, keep up the determination and protect your dream, with the passion and dedication that it deserves. Having said that, do allow yourself flexibility to make adjustments, as needed.
Keep the faith and keep going. Every step taken in the right direction, is sure to bring you closer to achieving your dream.
Remember – To start living your dream, stop living in the dream.